Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Doggie Play date!

Hello friends! As you might have guessed I am taking a break from the gym this week.  My body is tired and it is telling me to take it easy, so I listen!  To make up for my lack of exercise I have been eating really well and doing a lot of house work.  Today I folded more laundry and picked up around the house, tomorrow I might brave the elements (humidity) and mow the lawn!

Last night’s fruit salad made a wonderful appearance in my lunch/morning snack today:


We are most definitely making this every week. For lunch I had some leftover spaghetti from last week and the rest of the broccoli from last night’s dinner.


 I really love broccoli, Erik hates it (hopefully our kids will follow in my broccoli loving footsteps).  Later in the afternoon, I decided to change up my chobani snack and stick it in the freezer for some delish peach Fro-Cho:


Spectacular!

One of the main reasons I didn’t go running today was because Ella had a play date and I just couldn’t wait for Lejia and Logan to come over:


Logan and Ella ran around the yard and played while Lejia and I enjoyed a nice cold beer and some girl time (Erik was at the gym).


When Erik was on his way home I started to make dinner.  It was yet another yummy WW meal:


Angel Hair Pasta with Eggplant-Tomato Sauce

Course: main meals
PointsPlus™
 Value:    6
Servings:
  6
Preparation Time:
  16 min
Cooking Time:
  12 min
Level of Difficulty:
  Moderate


Ingredients

1 medium raw eggplant, baby-variety, sliced into 1/3- to 1/2-inch-thick rounds   

1 medium sweet red pepper(s), cut into 8 strips   
1 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray   
3/4 tsp table salt, divided   
1 clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced (medium)   

2 large tomato(es), coarsely chopped   
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes   
1/8 tsp black pepper   
2 Tbsp basil, fresh, minced   
2 Tbsp chives, fresh, minced   

1/2 cup(s) fat-free chicken broth   
8 oz uncooked angel hair pasta, cooked according to package directions, drained   
4 oz reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled   
Instructions
·         Preheat grill to medium.*
·         Place eggplant slices and pepper strips in a grill basket (or place vegetables on a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil with holes poked in it to allow smoke through). Off heat, coat vegetables with cooking spray; season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Place on grill and cook until lightly browned and tender, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Cut vegetables into bite-size pieces; set aside.
·         Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over low-medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook until slightly pulpy, about 1 minute more. Stir in vegetables, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper, basil, chives and broth; increase heat to medium-high. Cook until broth is slightly reduced and mixture has a sauce consistency, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add pasta and toss to coat. Stir in cheese just before serving. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.

This is what the sauce looked like before I mixed it all in:


It was such a hearty but simple sauce.  Next time I will add some zucchini, squash and some more spices, oh yea and more garlic!

Alright folks I am beat, I hope everyone had a great day, see you tomorrow!

No comments: