Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Cooking again!

Hello blog friends! Oh man I am so excited I finally went to the grocery store and planned out meals for the remainder of the week!

Thanks to my wonderful friend Erin, who gave me access to her Weight Watchers recipes, I found a whole new world of foods.

Let's rewind to the beginning of the day, breakfast was the usual breakfast combo, forgive the recycled picture:


Snack was the leftover cucumbers from my sandwich:


and my sandwich was a bit lame.  I forgot to defrost the bread I had bought a few weeks ago, so I had to resort to using a hamburger bun today:


It tasted a bit weird, but it was food, and I was starving.

*cue lots of work*

After work, I had planned on going to Giant before coming home, so that I could start cook right away, but the rest of the world had a different idea.  I really thought I was done with traffic, I was wrong.  Apparently there was a huge truck fire on 66 which caused all the back roads in Vienna to come to a complete stop.  I mean they closed 66 down, so no one could get on, hence parking lots.  It took me over an hour to get home and I only have to drive 16 miles! Insanity. But I did get a chance to talk to Bethany on the phone the entire time, so all was not lost *happy face*.

So anyway, I got home and started cleaning the house until Erik got home.  We both decided to go to Giant to make the trip quicker, and thank goodness he came with me. We started multitasking, aka, putting the groceries away and making dinner at the same time.  We were both flying around the kitchen, haha. Dinner turned out fabulous:


Here is the WW recipe:
Chicken with Balsamic Vinegar, Sweet Onions and Thyme 

PointsPlus™
 Value:    5
Servings:
  4
Preparation Time:
  10 min
Cooking Time:
  20 min
Level of Difficulty:
  Easy

Ingredients
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour   
3/4 tsp table salt, divided   
1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, divided   

1 pound(s) Chicken, breast, raw, without skin & bone, four 4 oz pieces   
2 tsp olive oil   

1 small vidalia onion(s), cut in half lengthwise, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)   

1 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth   
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar   
1 Tbsp thyme, fresh, chopped, or less to taste   
2 tsp butter   
Instructions
 ·       On a plate, combine flour, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Dredge chicken in flour mixture and turn to coat; shake off any excess.
·         Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, flipping once, until golden and cooked through, about 7 minutes; remove to a serving plate and cover to keep warm. 
·         Add onion to skillet; sauté over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add broth, vinegar, thyme and remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring often, until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
·         Remove skillet from heat and stir in butter until melted; spoon sauce over chicken. Yields 1 chicken breast and about 1/4 cup onion sauce per serving.

Afterwards, we put together a fabulous fruit salad, Erik's idea. 



I can't wait to go to Eastern Market again and get fresh fruit to make the next fruit salad.


yum yum yum, this will be a great addition to our breakfasts for the rest of the week:


Alright folks that is all for me today! I hope everyone had a great day. I leave you with this


hehe aren't they the cutest?

What things do you put into a fruit salad? 

1 comment:

Lauren said...

That food looked so delicious!!! yummmm

Omggg!!! That accident the other day caused me to take 2 hours to get home!!! I got on the road at 5:20 and didn't get home until 7:35...uugghhh and a half!!!

at least your husband and doggie are cute! :)