Friday, April 1, 2011

Friday’s are “Limitless”

I always seem to get so much done on my Friday’s off, it’s really amazing. After throwing some laundry in, I popped in my P90X “Plometrics” DVD, if you haven’t done Plyometrics I highly recommend it. I did realize that I am horribly out of shape, I guess taking a month off of working out was not a good idea. Oh well, we are getting back into P90x as I talked about on Tuesday, so I will be back in shape in no time.

After my workout, I ran some errands aka went to Giant to get FOOD for the week! Oh man I don’t think I have ever been so excited to go grocery shopping. I am a bit angry and Giant though, who knew they didn’t have Eggplant!? Maybe it was just the Giant I went to (it wasn’t my regular Giant store, bad idea). I should know better than to try and shop in a new grocery store when I have a million things to buy. Anyway I came back and took Ella for a walk and we saw this pretty tree:

Although winter seems to want to stick around, the trees have a different idea. Look even the flower bulbs I planted 3 weeks ago are coming up!

YAY! I still have a bag and a half of flower bulbs to plant, but haven’t been able to because it’s been raining everyday for seems like the last month, ugh. Oh well, I will get to them sooner or later. After our walk, I made myself some lunch:

Yummy chicken salad sandwich, veggies chips from Trader Joes, and an apple. I used the canned chicken from Costco a little mayo, and some cheese. Super yummy. After lunch I doodled around the inter-webs until it was time to make DINNER! Oh man I love cooking, it makes me so happy. Tonight I started making recipes from my Clean Eating magazine, I made “Pasta Roll-ups”.

Pasta Roll-Ups

Ingredients

1 tsp Extra virgin olive oil

1 Small Onion, finely chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1 lb extra-lean Ground Turkey

¾ tsp ground cinnamon

¼ tsp ground nutmeg

1 (28-oz) jar tomatoes in juice

1 tsp sea salt

8 sheets dried high-protein or whole wheat lasagna noodles

1 (10 oz) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed

1 (15-oz) container low-fat ricotta cheese

1 egg

¾ cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese

Instructions

In a large skillet, heat EVOO over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about five minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute. Turn heat to medium-high and add ground turkey, breaking it up with a spatula. Cook until meat shows no sign of pink. Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg, then add tomatoes, their juice and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low, stir, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes, occasionally stirring and breaking up tomatoes with wooden spoon.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, rinse and allow to cool in a colander.

Preheat oven to 400°F. Squeeze all moisture possible from thawed spinach and place in a large bowl. Add ricotta cheese, egg and a quarter-cup mozzarella cheese. Stir until combined.

Spread one cup of cooked tomato sauce into bottom of a 9 x 10-inch casserole dish. Lay a cooked lasagna noodle flat in front of you. Use your fingers to spread 1/8 of ricotta mixture across the noodle and roll it up. Place rolled pasta, seam side down. Repeat with remaining noodles. Spread remaining tomato sauce over roll-ups, then top with remaining half-cup mozzarella.

Bake, covered with foil, for 20 minutes. Remove foil and broil for five minutes or until roll-ups are browned and bubbly.

Nutrients per Serving: Calories: 234, Total Fat: 3g, Sat. Fat. 0g, Carbs: 27 g, Fiber: 5g, Sugars:7g, Protein: 28g, Sodium: 508 mg, Cholesterol: 76mg

This is what it looked like in the book,

After I mixed all the ingredients and rolled up the pasta this is what it looked like before I put them in the oven:

They looked pretty yummy, 25 minutes later:


After dinner we headed over to Bonefish Grill to have some drinks with Sean, Brandy and Hyojon, before our movie. We went and saw Limitless, and I fell asleep because the graphics were making me nauseous. But from what I did see, there wasn't really anything special about the movie.

Okie folks I'm off to bed!

3 comments:

Merut said...

These roll-ups looks really, really good. I started doing P90x and found the plyometrics incredibly difficult. Ick. I'd rather do the arms and chest (and even that made me sick). Good for you for getting back in the game.

Dorsa said...

Thank you they were good. I think they needed a little spice so we ended up putting some cholula on them.

Oh and I saw your need for a dutch oven recipe.. I only have a picture of the ingredients but basically if you make a vegetable soup in your dutch oven it will taste amazing. I'll try and put the picture up on your Facebook later.

Lauren said...

That is a beautiful tree! and you made that look sooooooooooo Gooooood!!!!!! mmmmmm I want!