Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Doctor says...

I had my second doctor's appointment today for the torn labrum in my shoulder and after 5 weeks of physical therapy, the doctor asked me if I was getting better (slightly), and if I could live with the pain I have now.. to which I replied absolutely not.

So I am currently scheduled for an MRI with Arthrography next Tuesday.  I'm not gonna lie, I'm not really too excited about this procedure.  I don't consider myself claustrophobic, but I feel like being in a scary metal tube for 30 minutes could change that. The are going to inject a contrast medium into the joint ( I feel like that is going to hurt), apparently my doctor said that they were going to be able to get a lot of fluid in my shoulder because there is a lot of empty space? (say what?) I don't have any idea what that means, but I'll go with it. 

Good news is that, if I do have to have surgery the recovery time is only 4 months.  And I have a feeling that is full recovery, which means I will (hopefully) be able to run my 10k in October, Woot (this is me not getting my hopes up), and go snowboarding this winter. 

I will have more updates on that when I know more, next week.

For the next few days I will recap our Vancouver vacation, so stay tuned :)

4 comments:

Gavalla said...

I did the same thing and the MRI is not fun. I am getting it fixed on Nov 16. Maybe we can get it done together.

Dorsa said...

barf... haha. I am hoping they do mine sooner than that... eeek.

Why did they schedule yours so late?

Tara said...

Oh no! I've never had an MRI before.. they definitely do not sound like my cup of tea. I'm not into the whole tight spaces thing either. Hopefully you won't have to get surgery, but at least the recovery time isn't too bad. 4 months is nothing compared to living the rest of your life with shoulder pain!

I can't wait to hear about your vancouver trip!

Susan said...

Dorsa, I've had an MRI...it's not so bad...keep your eyes closed and pretend you're somewhere else...like skiing in Lake Geneva!