Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Spicing up our blog-life

Hey guys! So I’ve decided to change our blog up a bit. I want to add a little spice to the blog, I’m not really sure if anyone will care, or read, but its fun for me so I will try it out and see how it goes. A lot of my friends are doing weight watchers, (I use their point system as a guideline too), so I figure I would put my calculated WW points along with the recipes/foods. I am not by any means a nutritionist, I just simply want to eat better and live a healthier lifestyle. So here goes:


I think I am a bit slow on the delish greek yogurt train but thanks to my friend Kirstie, I am now in love with Chobani Greek Yogurt. It is so good for you too, so much better for you than a sugar filled yogurt :) WW points: 3. Today I had the peach flavor:


Last night for dinner I made some yummy Greek-Spinach Veggie Burgers! The recipe made 4 patties so Erik and I took the other two for lunch today.



I put the patty on a whole Wheat hamburger bun, topped it with a tomato, feta cheese crumbles, and some plain non-fat yogurt. Next time I make these I will use a fat-free feta, to reduce the calories, but as is they are super yummy. Here is the recipe:

Greek Spinach Veggie Burgers

Ingredients


· 1/4 cup olive oil

· 1 clove garlic, minced

· 1 tsp. dried italian seasoning

· 1 cup herb-seasoned stuffing mix

· 2 eggs, lightly beaten

· 1 10-oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained

· 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled (2 oz.)

· 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted

· Toppers such as crumbled feta cheese, plain yogurt, sliced roasted red peppers, and/or sliced red onion (optional)


Directions

1. In medium bowl combine oil, garlic, oregano, dillweed, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper. Stir in stuffing mix to coat thoroughly. Stir in egg, spinach, and 1/2 cup crumbled feta; mix well. Shape into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.

2. Heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add patties. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until browned and heated through.

3. Serve in buns with assorted toppers. Makes 4 servings.


Nutrition Facts

Calories367, ;Total Fat (g)18, ;Saturated Fat (g)4, ;Monounsaturated Fat (g)11, ;Polyunsaturated Fat (g)2, Cholesterol (mg)13, ; Sodium (mg)732, ; Carbohydrate (g)36, ; Total Sugar (g)6, ;Fiber (g)4, ;Protein (g)13,

Vitamin C (DV%)2, ;Calcium (DV%)27, ;Iron (DV%)18, ;Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet


Tonight for dinner I will be making Coconut chicken chili. I will let you know how that goes tomorrow.

No comments: